Share This Post

Main Slider / News

FG begins mass trial of Boko Haram suspects in Kainji town

FG begins mass trial of Boko Haram suspects in Kainji town

The first in a series of trials of more than 6,600 people, accused of being members of militant Islamist group Boko Haram, has opened on Monday in Kainji town.

The trials are being held in secret by civilian court judges at a military facility in the central state of Niger.

Rights activists say they are concerned about the lack of transparency in what has been described as the biggest terrorism trials in Nigeria’s history.

Some 20,000 people have been killed in Boko Haram’s eight-year insurgency.

Only nine people have been convicted so far of being involved in the rebellion.

Four judges have started the trials at the military centre in Kainji, said sources at the ministry of justice Abuja.

According to reports, up to 1,670 people will be tried in the coming weeks with a further 5,000 people after that.

More than 1,600 suspects are being held at the centre, where many have been for years.

In a report in 2015, Amnesty International said that military forces had arbitrarily detained about 20,000 people as part of its campaign to end the insurgency.

The trials are likely to last for months, or even years, because of the huge number of suspects who will be tried individually, Justice Minister Abubakar Malami said.

Facebook Comments

Share This Post

1 Comment

  1. Profile gravatar of Temitayo

    Its about time, the reward for their wickedness. I just hope they are all guilty and no innocent people are caught in the mix

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Lost Password

Register