Share This Post

Featured / Main Slider / News / Society

Fulani Herdsmen continues to sack Benue villages in fresh attacks, Kills 26 again

Fulani Herdsmen continues to sack Benue villages in fresh attacks, Kills 26 again

It was another sad and sorrowful day for Benue State again, yesterday, as no fewer than 26 persons were confirmed killed Monday evening in a bloody attack on Omusu village, at Ojigo Ward, Edumoga in Okpokwu Local Government Area of the state by suspected herdsmen, just a day President Muhammadu Buhari through his media aide, promised to visit the state.

Online sources on social media disclosed that the well-armed herdsmen stormed the village about 4p.m., shooting sporadically at anything they sighted and burning down houses in the community.

The report stated that, “It was a bloody evening in Okpokwu. Armed herdsmen stormed Omusu village and opened sporadic fire on the locals, killing and butchering anyone and anything they came across.”

Last Monday’s night attackers also left several persons injured and many others missing, while the entire community has been deserted. Several houses, huts and food barns were set ablaze by the marauding herdsmen.

Recall that Benue State has been under severe attacks from the herdsmen since the New Year day attack on two local government areas of the state that left over 73 persons dead; since then, there has been more attacks and killings occurring almost daily since January 1st 2018.

Benue State Governor, Samuel Ortom, led members of the state security council for an on-the-spot assessment of the area on Tuesday to the deserted community.

Addressing few people present at the Omusu village square, Governor Ortom fought back tears as he spoke.

The governor said the killer herdsmen have continued to rain terror on the people of the state despite efforts by his government to stem the tide.

“Heads of security agencies said people doing this are from other countries. These killings are not acceptable. We will not fold our arms and wait for people to come from other countries and invade our land, kill, maim, rape our women and children and go free. This cannot be allowed to continue.

“That is why we have decided at the state Security Council level to come here for on-the-spot assessment. Already, as recorded by the local government chairman, 26 people were killed just in one day. This is not right and it is unacceptable.

“I know that the security men are doing their best, but they are overstretched; from the Police, Civil Defense and the Army. The fact is that they are not also spared. Even the security agencies have become victims of these mercenaries. I think that something has to be done and very fast too.

“As leaders, we are here to assess the situation and as we go back, we will re-strategize and ensure that this does not occur again.

“But let me repeat this, for us in Benue State, we have a law prohibiting open grazing. Anyone who wants to live with us here must obey the law. The law is not targeted at any herdsman or woman or any ethnic group.

“The law is meant to protect the lives of the people of the state and herdsmen alike. No one is discriminated against and everyone must obey the law because it is what is obtainable everywhere. I am aware that when Sharia law was introduced in Zamfara State and several other states in the country, nobody rose up to challenge that law. Why are these people challenging us?

“I still call on security agencies to arrest the leadership of Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore, who had threatened to do what they are doing today since last June. They have gone scot-free and live and move about freely in Abuja and are directing their mercenaries that they brought from other countries to come and kill our people. This is not acceptable.

“All that we seek is justice and justice must be given to our people; that are why we were elected to lead. Anything outside that is not acceptable. We will ensure that security personnel do the needful and ensure that the herdsmen responsible for this are arrested.

“I am happy that we have gotten some of the equipment that we will use in tracking them. We will assist security agencies to do the needful to get the masterminds arrested.

“As a government, we will continue to do our best because we cannot surrender our state to criminals; that will not happen. It is not acceptable. Storming a community and killing 26 people in one fell swoop is certainly unacceptable. We must all rise up and stop this evil that is posing a great danger to all Nigerians.

“If we allow this people to continue to kill and go scot-free, tomorrow they will attack our security personnel and also attack us, the leaders of this country. We must do something and it has to be now, there is no better time.

“I believe that two wrongs can never make a right. If you were attacked by whosoever and your cattle and people are missing, the best thing to do is to report to law enforcement agencies. This was done and efforts are being made by the local government council chairman to arrest whoever was responsible.

“So what was the basis to attack and kill innocent people who know nothing about your problem?  How can the herdsmen justify the killing of an 11-year old girl, other children and the elderly over allegation that cattle were rustled?

“Our people do not rustle cattle; it is herdsmen that rustle cattle, not our people. I can assure you that we will get justice over this matter,” Governor Ortom stated.

Facebook Comments

Share This Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Lost Password