Share This Post

Featured / News / People, Opinions & Rumors / Sports

Mutko steps down as 2018 World Cup organizing committee chief

Mutko steps down as 2018 World Cup organizing committee chief

Russian Deputy Prime Minister Vitaly Mutko on Wednesday announced his resignation as chairman of the 2018 World Cup organizing committee.

“(Organising committee director Alexei) Sorokin will be the chairman,” Mutko was quoted by Russian agencies as saying, two days after suspending his role as president of the Russian Football Union.

“He is the head of the organizing committee starting today,” he said.

Sorokin, 45, had served as the executive director of the Russian Football Union between 2008 and 2010 and has overseen Russia’s World Cup bid since 2009.

“He will interact with FIFA. I will concentrate on work in the government,” Mutko said. “There is still a lot of work but I am absolutely sure that everything will be prepared in time.

“We expect that on May 30 we will meet all the obligations that the government gave FIFA.”

FIFA said in an emailed statement that it will work with Sorokin “with the aim to deliver an exceptional event in June and July”.

“FIFA thanks Mr. Mutko for his invaluable contribution to the preparations for the competition so far,” it said.

Mutko who was recently banned for life from the Olympic Games over doping, said on Monday that he plans to file a claim in the Court of Arbitration for Sport to contest his Olympic ban, and would suspend his duties in the RFU for the duration of the proceedings.

He added at the time that he would continue his role as chief coordinator of preparations for the World Cup Russia will host next summer until Russian leadership decides otherwise.

His decision to step down came after a meeting of the Russian government’s coordination council for the World Cup preparations, which Mutko also chairs.

Sorokin said the decision to give him Mutko’s role was “rather sudden” but assured that it would not disrupt preparations for the event looming just over six months from now.

The Russia-2018 organizing committee said in a statement published by TASS agency that that “the change in leadership will have no consequences on the process of preparations for the world championship”.

Mutko would “continue to oversee the preparation by the regions… and coordinate building the necessary infrastructure in his role as the deputy prime minister,” the statement said.

Facebook Comments

Share This Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Lost Password

Register