At least fifteen persons are reported to have been killed while 53 others have been left injured in the twin suicide bomb attacks which occurred in Borno state on Saturday.
The attack which is said to have occurred in the main market in Biu – the biggest town in the South of Borno State – was reportedly carried out by two female suicide attackers who were fully strapped with explosive devices.
Speaking on the attack, Deputy Superintendent of Police and spokeperson of the Borno state Police Command, Victor Isuku said in a statement;
“Today 12/2/2017 at about 1140hrs, two female suicide bombers infiltrated and gained entry into Biu town in Biu local government area.
“One of the bombers detonated IED strapped on her body within Biu Main market, while the other one detonated outside the market square.
“So far, a total of 13 persons excluding the two suicide bombers, have been confirmed killed in the two explosions. While 53 others sustained various degrees of injuries.”
He also assured hat normalcy has been restored to the area as police patrols/EOD teams led by the Acting Area Commander Biu have been dispatched to the scene of the incident.
“The Corpses & the injured persons have been evacuated to General Hospital Biu,” he said